Congressman Eric Cantor Introduces YouCut
Yesterday, House Minority Whip Eric Cantor (R-VA) launched a new project - YouCut. YouCut allows people to vote online or from their cell phones on spending cuts, from a list of several options -- to be updated weekly, that they would like to see the House act on. House Republicans will then offer an up-or-down vote on the winning spending cut from the previous week.
CRFB is encouraged that lawmakers are reaching out to the public to begin finding specific changes we can make to start curbing the growth of future deficits. We share their desire to curb federal spending.
This week, YouCut is featuring the following spending cuts:
- Presidential Election Fund ($260 million over 5 years)
- Federal union activities ($600 million over five years)
- HUD support for certain doctoral dissertations ($1 million over 5 years)
- New non-reformed welfare program ($2.5 billion each year)
- Eliminate wealthier communities from Community Development Block Grant program ($2.6 billion over 5 years)
Watch Congressman Cantor's introductory video: